Friday, January 18, 2008

Korean Alcohol : Soju

The quintessential Korean alcoholic beverage, is served chilled in shot glasses. Traditionally made from rice, it is it commonly made from a range of starches including potato, wheat, barley or sweet potato. Weighing in at about 20% alcohol per volume, it is quite similar in taste to Vodka, but with only the half the alcoholic content much easier to drink.


The downside of this easy drinking nature is that it gives a fairly horrific hangover to the person who imbibes too much, as I can now attest to. Such is my journalistic integrity, that I'm bringing you this post as the side effects of a few too many Soju shots wears off.


I've heard second hand reports that a large Soju binge can produce quite bizarre thoughts in the drinker, but I'm yet to reach that stage as yet. Given how sore my head is after about half a dozen of these, I'm not sure I really want to find out.


As we caught one of the late trains back to our guest house last night, we saw a fairly common sight in Korea. Drunken Ajussi's (Korean elder male) stumbling their way home after a night out on the Soju. Drinking with co-workers and the boss taking their employees out for a meal and drinks seems to happen quite often in Korea. I'm told as often as 4 times a week in some offices. I'm not sure my liver could handle such a beating.

No comments: