Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Korean Alcohol : Ginseng Liquor

The first part in a 3 part series about the various forms of alcohol that the Korean's enjoy. I'll try to upload one of these each day until we return, internet access permitting. I thought I'd start with something completely different, Ginseng Liquour.

Often home made, as pictured on the right, it is also commonly served with a specialty Korean chicken soup dish. It is often consumed as a health drink.


This particular batch, was brewed up by Jiran's mum. As far as I know it contains about a dozen Ginseng plants, a hefty amount of Soju and some water. It was left to ferment for about 6 months.


My best description of the taste would be a vodka and red bull, if you could take all the sugar out of the red bull, if you can imagine that. It has a very unique taste and gives quite a kick, its estimated alcoholic content being about ~30%.


No comments: